Sunday, January 18, 2009

Happy Birthday to Mike


Thanks to everyone who sent a note regarding my birthday today. Above is a card I received from an old friend (Howdy Parson!). He scanned in and presented me with a drawing I did as a kid way back during 1976. I am embarrassed by my old drawings. I have changed my style so much since then! (I hope!) Well , anyway, might as well take this occasion to make a private embarrassment public (before the Parson does).

I don't recall what the context is here. It looks like Mr. Peanut is in an art gallery, being insulted with a mediocre pun by a Don Martin-inspired fat guy. And I don't know why it's titled "a humourous cartoone" either.

I must be off to shovel some snow, and then settle back in to draw some cartoons all afternoon. Some things never change.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the drawing style in this cartoon, Mike. Looks more like the New Yorker style ;-)

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

(Takes bow)

Snagglefrog said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Thank you for sharing the cartoon you did as a kid. Makes me wish I still had my journal from the 5th grade (91-92 school year) - did a lot of drawings in it.

Jack Ruttan said...

You must have been reading those old books of prints by Cruikshank or Ben Franklin.

The style could pass, in an extremely po-mo "Fort Thunder" or Gary Panter in "Raw" kind of mode. Trouble is, you need to invent the persona to pass it off. (I suggest an elfin Andy-Warhol type)

Mike Lynch said...

Thanks for the kind words, all.