Friday, February 19, 2010

Jim Tierney's Book Designs


Some knock-out book designs for some of Jules Verne's great works by Jim Tierney. Jim is studying illustration at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. This is all part of his senior thesis; a competition for the William H. Ely award.

"Being equal parts book-nerd and design-nerd, I naturally decided to re-design some classic Jules Verne novels. I‘m a big Verne fan, but a chance to re-design any classic book is always exciting. Classics usually allow for a more personal interpretation, since most people are already vaguely familiar with the premise of the books, and I didn’t have to compete with one well-known cover, as I might have with a more recent book."

Jim shares a lot of his process and sketches here.


Jules Verne cover designs by Jim Tierney from Jim Tierney on Vimeo.



Hat tip to my pal Sean Kelly. Thanks, Sean!

1 comment:

Richard Blanco said...

Great covers!!!
The first book I ever read as a kid, given to me by my Dad in Cuba was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and then I was hooked on reading.
Oh, boy... Lots of memories.
Thanks for the post, Mike.