Thursday, September 29, 2011

Exhibition: Banned Saucy Postcards



 Above: the caption is "Ah, Mr. Mactavish, I see you have some ginger nuts."

The Daily Mail reports

A new exhibition displaying 1,300 titillating postcards, seized by police between 1951 to 1961, is being held by the British Cartoon Archive at the University of Kent. The display features cards that were seized by police in Margate, Kent.
... The cards are among 35,000 cartoons digitised and made available free online by the British Cartoon Archive following a £150,000 grant.

The newly-digitised cartoons include work by famous cartoonists such as Mac, in the Daily Mail.


The exhibition of banned postcards, entitled ‘I wish I could see my little Willy’[that's the caption of the above cartoon], will be displayed at the university’s Canterbury campus until November 13.
Hat tip to Mark Anderson!

EDIT: my friend, cartoonist Royston Robertson, has been to the exhibit and offers this report!

No comments: